I (rae) would like to say something. This isn't directed at any one in particular, but society in general, and especially Christian's who are trying to tell us how we should live.
Ok here goes:
It is OK for me to have my own opinions and choose my own lifestyle. I'm an adult, I'm in a wonderfully committed marriage, I have a calling and goals for my life. I do not have to conform to what you think is "normal" to be happy.
My husband and I are making a lifestyle choice that suites us best, is the best for our marriage, and that we believe will make us happier than the alternative. It isn't hurting anyone else, it isn't disrupting anyone else's life, and it's a very personal decision. It shouldn't include anyone but Cliff and I, it affects us most, we will be the one's who have to deal with it for the rest of our lives. It's not up to society, the Church, or our friends and family to make, or even influence, this decision for us.
I am starting to see and understand the people that have chosen the homosexual lifestyle (and other alternative lifestyles) a little more. Now, I do believe that the Bible teaches that living that way is wrong. But it is still their choice. Everyone has the right to chose their own lifestyle, and if that's what they want, then they should have it. It would not be a free country if they didn't. Again, I don't agree with them, or believe that they are in any way inside the will of God, but I'm starting to understand where they're coming from.
If my husband and I choose to do something a little outside the norm, because that is what's best for us, then people should respect that decision, even if they don't understand or agree. Otherwise it's not really the land of the free.
I'm not, nor have I ever been, against the idea of kids. Kids are great. But I don't appreciate people saying that to be happy, fulfilled, or have a good marriage we have to have children, because it's not true.
In case you don't know this is in response to some of the backlash we've received about our decision to not have children.
Hey,
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear you are frustrated right now. I know that yall (from what I understand) use this blog as a update on your lives, be it biblical, day to day, or something totally random. If I may insert my opinion here, I think some of the responses, whatever they may be, stem from the fact that this could be considered a 'biblical' or spiritual form of blog because you do often post where you guys are growing. I hope you don't stop doing that :D
Bear in mind that when you state things that aren't necessarily biblical, and I don't mean ANTI biblical, I mean more opinion stuff - down to 'major' things such as having kids - or 'minor' things, such as 'Bluebunny ice cream is better than Highland' that other people may ALSO have their own opinions that they feel just as strongly about. They may state them as fact, or however they want to voice their opinion. All and all, I think its safe to say the people following and reading your words aren't here to cause trouble and bring you to frustration. My advice, and you know this, is take what people say with a grain of salt and with the backdrop knowledge that we LOVE you very much. If you don't agree with people's words, I personally think that if you want to respond, maybe pull them aside (Private message maybe?) and explain your thoughts, where your heart is, and make it so there is no bitterness between you and them.
Most importanly, compare their opinions, and yours, to the truth of Gods Word. Remember those icing issues? To add some verses to it, here's some verses I'm sure you're familiar with :D
1 Corinthians 3:12-13
Remember what is wood, hay, and stubble here. People's opinions, yours and mine - are wood hay and stubble. God's word and his truths? Those will last forever, so we need to make sure that's the focal point we chase after. Remember that God left the body of Christ here, and wants to build us up together through Him. The body is there to sharpen us and point us closer to God. Because God has stressed so many different times His views of what he wants His bride to be, I do NOT feel that our relationship in the body of Christ is wood hay and stubble - it matters very much.
As we grow, we will disagree. We will squabble, our feelings will get hurt, and we will have to work with people we may not always like - it's all part of growing! My fear is that opinions will strain your relationships and your growth within the body, over icing issue and wood hay and stubble. They may be very real to us at the time, but we can't loose focus of what matters most in the heart of God.
Love you guys very much! Hope this is an encouragement to you both - the things that bond us together are so much more important then the things that often tear us apart.
Ps- I think I just wrote a book here 0_0
Thanks for the encouragement! We do use this blog for pretty much everything, so I can understand why it would be confusing. I do my best to distinguish our opinions from biblical facts, but I may not be as good at that as I think I am.
ReplyDeleteI know and respect that others feel their opinion is just as right, though different, as mine. And I'm completely fine with that. I'm not trying to tell people how to live, I'm trying to convey how we feel. I feel like, in response, we're being told that our opinion and choices (about this and other things) are wrong and these others opinions are they only right way, and we're sinful for not following what they want.
I feel like that's disrespectful, cause they're saying my opinion is wrong but theirs is fact, when both are simply personal choices. You know me, I am fine with other opinions as long as they aren't forced on me.
I know I'm letting this become a bigger issue than it should be, and I really appreciate the advice! Opinions and personal choices aren't things that should tear us apart. It's really hard sometimes, to remember that.
Love you too, girl! Thanks!