Cliff and I would like to start meeting with a married couple. Actually, what we'd really like is marriage counseling. We had a couple of pre-marital counseling sessions before we got married. But we barely scratched the surface of the basics of what we need to talk about.
We've read books, and discussed them together. We pray together, and have devos together. But it's not enough. We need fellowship with married couples, we need to be able to talk about things we're going through now. We need post-marital counseling, and discipleship. We're newly married, we have problems just like everyone. We're planning to move to a foreign country. We have a lot on our plate right now. We need good, godly counsel and fellowship. But we're not getting it. There have been a couple of times we've gotten to spend an evening with our Sunday school class leaders, and it's been great. But we need that kind of fellowship more than once every few months.
The church is supposed to provide fellowship, discipleship, and godly counsel. We're supposed to be getting the help, support, and encouragement our marriage needs from our church. We are young and inexperienced when it comes to relationships. We haven't seen very many solid godly marriages, the kind of marriage we desire so much.
I'm calling out the church on this. The church was designed by God to be a place of encouragement and support. But it isn't for us. We come to church, we go to bible studies, we are involved in many different ministries. And we love it. But we need to be ministered to as well. There is no married or couples class right now, so we have no where to turn. We signed up for discipleship in July, but there still hasn't been anyone paired with us.
It's not supposed to be like this. We want so badly to have a strong marriage, but we don't have any idea of how to build that. We need guidance and help. The church should be that for us.
I'm calling our church out. It's not functioning as God intended. And it needs to be fixed.
I understand your frustrations and concerns. We are glad that you have participated in the Reach class, and our Bible study. I know that college & career isn't exactly your LifeStage right now, but we are blessed, to have you guys with us for now. Your willingness to submit to the wisdom of another couple is valuable. I pray that something can be worked out for you to be ministered to in the early days of your marriage. You and Cliff have set a good example for our class with being serious about serving God anywhere, anytime, and anyway possible. Hope that this encourages you and Cliff in someway.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm not mad at all, and we love your class, but we need something more. I'm mostly hurt cause we've gone to the leaders and asked for this, but nothing has been done. I believe my marriage is worth fighting for, but I'm hurt that the church isn't helping us.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you've thought about this for a long time. I learned recently that sometimes people don't know what or how to help or what to say. I know you want true help and guidance and sometimes you have to chase things :) I would suggest personally starting that process yourself. If the current couples class isn't meeting, be proactive and invite someone over to your house. Begin that process yourself. It's a lot easier to extend a hand than to wait for a hand to be extended. Hopefully things look up for you soon!
ReplyDelete