We were at the church this morning and me and Rae was standing out on
the street before the service started, and this man came up to us and
asked us for a single peso which works out to about 2.5 cents so it was a
ton of money. We both (me and Rae) look at each other and say to him
that we didn't have it. We did. So he walked away, we just got to
thinking and talking about and decided that what we did was wrong. I
went and gave him some money but that's not the point.
The
point is we have become so conditioned to think that people are asking
for help or asking for something when they don't need it and thus we
simply dismiss them without another thought. This is not right we are
called to take care of the poor, of the widows and orphans. I was
disgusted with myself thinking about all of the times that people have
asked for help and I have just dismissed them.
We are
supposed to look to Christ as our example, what would he have done? How
many times have you seen someone in need and simply walk on by or done
nothing? I know that some people game the system and beg for things when
they don't need them or will use whatever money that they get to fund a
drug habit, I'm not stupid, but we should still help people. Rae has
told me a good idea, you get a Ziploc bag and put travel size soap
toothpaste, baby wipes granola bars etc and keep them in your car and
give them to people in need. Now I know this is not enough but I don't
know what else to do at this point. if anyone has any ideas.
This is a challenge for me because I tend to be very cynical of people. But I am trying to get better, & we are called to love people. Back in college I went on a week long missions trip to NOLA (New Orleans then the LA is the state abbreviation) and the group we were working with had a sort of catch phrase that I liked but I fail to live out so much of the time "Love God with all you got and love people till you drop." How many times I have failed to do either part of that catch phrase.
No comments:
Post a Comment